Ministry in the evening

All my life I have heard that a healthy family spends quality time together. And, most importantly, they eat their evening meal together. They don't get tempted into letting busy-ness and many activities eat into this mealtime together. (Pun fully intended. Hope you got it.)

Now I am living and ministering in a culture where most quality relational time occurs most naturally during the evening hours.
  • If I want to go out evangelizing 2x2 the best time is the evening
  • If I want to be involved in a small group at church the best time is the evening
  • If we want to minister to our co-workers the least busy time is the evening
A couple months ago I made the jump and started a regularly scheduled evening time of evangelism twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Melodye has always had her women's Bible study on Wednesday evenings. Now she is looking at the possibility of participating in a ministry of our church which will probably occur on Friday evenings.

Suddenly from being together with our children 4 weeknights every week we are down to a single weeknight (Monday) when we are both here and then 2 evenings each where I am here alone with the boys or Melodye is alone with the boys.

What does this mean for our family? Are we caving on an essential principal of family life? Are our children going to become mass murderers because we didn't sit together around the dinner table?

On the other hand, ministry in a Mediterranean culture ("warm" cultures) really does need to be in the evening. If I prioritize my family such that I rule out the primary hours of ministry ... should I be looking for a new job?

Can those evening hours be replaced with more dedicated hours on the weekend? Can we put our boys to bed at 3:30 when they get home from school and wake them up at 2:30 in the morning to spend quality time then? What's a man to do that desperately wants to spend quality time with his family around the dinner table but has accepted a call to ministry that involves not being there a good part of the time?

Lots of questions this time and not too many answers... Feel free to share the wisdom of the ages with me in comments...

Comments

  1. Jen Bowers8:00 PM

    That *is* a hard question. I wonder how this month has been?

    It makes sense to me that other times could replace those traditional evening hours, be it early morning fun, weekend time, or afternoons. Much like a pastor might have Thursday or Monday as his family day or Sabbath, since Sunday is a work day. Or a night-shift working parent carves out non-traditional time to dedicate to his or her kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. Asking it myself. Find a way to have the kids do school in the evening? A co-op evening home school, leaving mornings for family time???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am very happy you've chosen to leave a comment here. If it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it if you would either sign in somehow or else identify yourself in your comments so I know who you are... (Not required but appreciated.) Thanks! -Peter

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 2:1-12 (with poetic license)

Protecting What Is Valuable To Us

I WILL NOT be cheated! (Random personal thoughts on forgiveness)