Reading OT Narrative

I am teaching OT History to 6th-graders this year.  I would like them to read the entire OT, but it is not do-able within the allotted allowed homework time.  So I am trying to come up with a plan where they can read the narrative sections plus a few sample chapters from other genres.

This is what I've come up with so far with my dad's help:
  1. Genesis
  2. Ex 1–25, 32–33, 40
  3. Le 19 (fairly random sample)
  4. Nu 1–2, 10–14, 16–17, 20–24, 31:16, Re 2:14, Nu 25, 32
  5. Deut 1–6, 32, 34
  6. Joshua 1–14, 23–24
  7. Judg
  8. Ruth
  9. 1Sam
  10. 2Sam
  11. 1Ki
  12. 2 Ki
  13. 1 Ch 10–end
  14. 2 Ch
  15. Ezra
  16. Nehemiah
  17. Esther
  18. Job 1–2, 40–42
  19. Ps 1, 23, 23, 46, 51, 91, 100, 119, 121, 139, 150
  20. Pr 1, 31
  21. Is 1:1–9, Is 6, 36–39, 40, 44, 52:13–53:12
  22. Je 36–38
  23. Ezek 1, 2, 10, 18, 37
  24. Daniel
  25. Jonah
  26. Micah
  27. Habbakuk
  28. Malachi
What have I missed?  What could I easily take out without missing something huge?

(Yes, I know.  It's kind of like trying to create a Reader's Digest Condensed book by abridging the Bible ... which doesn't work!  But within the constraints I've got I'm trying to come up with the best reading plan I can...)

Any ideas?  Can you help me?

Once I've got this established I've found that Logos has a *great* feature where you can input a list of books/chapters and it produces a reading plan for you with whatever dates and other info you want to establish...  (Look up File/Reading Plan in Logos 4.0.)

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:01 AM

    Please pardon my ignorance, but what is an OT?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my cryptic abbreviations. OT=Old Testament. The OT is made up of ROUGHLY 50% narrative, 20% poetic literature, 25% prophetic, and 5% legal. But that's purely guesswork. If I calculate a little more exactly (still estimates, though)...

    Narrative=37%
    Other=13%
    Poetic=20%
    Prophetic=29%

    My goal is to get my 6th grade students to read through all the narrative passages and some representative portion of the other genres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In those figures above I'm largely ignoring the periodic narratives that occur in, for instance, Numbers and Jeremiah and etc. "Other" includes the laws of Ex 20-40 & Leviticus and Numbers and Deuteronomy as well as dividing the tribes in Josh 13-24 and some of the longer geneologies. Calculations were done purely on the basis of the number of pages, and even that is within a study Bible, so the number of notes will have a significant impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:04 AM

    Hi

    The answer was obvious, but I got confused after reading (out of curiosity) a lot of texts about scientology, as they use the same acronym, just with a different meaning. For them an OT means an Operating Thetan and that was what got me confused.

    The nanosecond after I sent my question I already knew the answer, sorry for that.

    I also liked to know the percentages, but I'm not a bible expert.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see going through Jeremiah that there are a lot more narrative passages than I included.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am very happy you've chosen to leave a comment here. If it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it if you would either sign in somehow or else identify yourself in your comments so I know who you are... (Not required but appreciated.) Thanks! -Peter

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 2:1-12 (with poetic license)

Protecting What Is Valuable To Us

I WILL NOT be cheated! (Random personal thoughts on forgiveness)