Praying for you...

I had a really neat conversation with my brother today. You know how usually conversations stay in "lite mode", talking about kids and activities and stuff. (And I don't have any problem with that -- relationships are largely built on shared experiences and it is these experiences that gradually build up a firm foundation of mutual care and ultimately relationship.) Well, today my brother broke through in our conversation.

He had very interestedly inquired into my work for several minutes, asking details and stuff. Then he asked (somewhat hesitantly - which told me this wasn't a "glossy" question but heart-felt) "If so much of your church planting work is completely dependent on the Holy Spirit then what very specific requests can you give us so we can be praying?" Then he went on to ask for names of people I'm coaching or discipling, names of people I'm evangelizing, what big-picture things need to be kept in mind, etc. Then he asked me what my personal practice was in fasting and suggested that we "get together" and pray/fast together on certain days of the week or month.

I was encouraged, really encouraged.

Prayer.

That thing we talk about, exhort to, read about, promise to do. Just the deep-heart knowledge that he was going to pray for me (not just talk about it) was incredibly uplifting.

And also pretty guilt-inducing, too. You see, I'm big on talking about prayer and asking people to pray. But the reason he had to ask for specific prayer requests was because it's been months since I sent out a prayer letter...

Since our conversation this morning I've spent some time on my knees. Clearly that's the appropriate response. But I'm also thinking -- if I *really* believe that prayer is important then I would make it a priority to have specific requests in the hands of the many people that have promised to pray for us. My theology on prayer is not lining up with my practice here -- a clear indication that my belief has gone as far as my head but no deeper. I believe, Lord, help my unbelief!

I think I'd better get writing a prayer letter...

(BTW, thanks, Dave! I needed that!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 2:1-12 (with poetic license)

Protecting What Is Valuable To Us

I WILL NOT be cheated! (Random personal thoughts on forgiveness)